Skip to main content

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.9

Hello Hein, Titan Wolf, Stefan, and trike like!
I have been doing a few things in the last few weeks that I want to share. I last posted with some sketches that showed how I thought a potential tilt steering mechanism might look like. After reviewing the ideas and models I had previously made I made up the following models. The first is the basic geometry of a tilting assembly using Heim joints (Rod Ends) for the bearings. Heim joints are a bit of a departure from what I have been illustrating but would seem to be superior in some ways to thrust bearings. I do have dust covers for the bearings but they are not shown in place...


 Without the reinforcing structure necessary to hold the arms in place, as my previous post shows, the tilting mechanism will fold far beyond the furthest limit that might be used on the trike when tilting. I show this just to illustrate the potential. The furthest practical tilt would be somewhere near 45 degrees on a trike like this.

I had to experiment a bit to get everything to fold correctly using the hardware you see in place. I am still using 1" square wooden dowels to make the prototypes.  The hardware took awhile to come by slow mail order from Speedway Motors. See  https://www.speedwaymotors.com/QA1-GFR6T-G-Series-Rod-End-Stainless-Steel-3-8-24-RH-Female-Thread,261549.html
I used the female rod ends to simplify eventual attachment to aluminum with stainless bolts. Above I am still using the published XYZ trike proportions on the main frame.  This will be changing to accommodate the tilt  steering column that you can see in the following Videos.

As I previously posted Martin Hill came up with the base idea for creating a tilting steering column and in the videos I am now posting I am applying that idea to the XYZ platform.

Ok! Videos are currently working 01-22-2018





This first video shows the test rig I threw together to allow adjustment up of the height of the steering column and of the width of the tilt arms. This adjustable test stand was a huge help in getting the mechanism to work correctly.  Now here is the second video that has a bit better lighting to see things working.




Thats me with the pinky ring. I am in junky work cloths. As can be seen in the video the test stand is a bit tipsy unless clamped down on a bench. I think this illustrates that the tilt mechanism can exceed the theoretical limits a trike might need for banking in a turn.

The diagonal rods would be exchanged for a similarly sized bicycle rear shock absorbers. The arms would be completed much like the first series of pictures and have an upper and a lower set of arms connected with the outer part of the arms where the wheels would attach.

The following are some stills of the mechanism and incidentally the test stand.





As can be seen the garage shop is very cluttered! I am working on removing junk kinda slowly... Finally a picture of the test rig with the over large shocks I bought first. It gives a bit of a look at what the final product might look like, although the above pictures are the revised version and this is already out dated...
So there it is a functioning tilt mechanism that can be controlled. It will make the turns with full possible tilt.

I believe this addresses both control issues and tilt feasibility.

Ceeann

PS. We now have a functioning bathroom with toilet, sink, bath tub and shower. We are about half done with that chore... onward to the Master bath!






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.8

Hello Hein, Titan Wolf, trike like (Martin?) and Stephan (shs2_de) It has been a couple of weeks since I was able to remark on what I have been doing with the idea of a tilting space frame trike and I have some things to share. I have built another new prototype of a tilting mechanism and have already come up with a new version. Interestingly enough my newest designs bears a great resemblance to what Stephan (shs2_de) worked on with his suspension system at the beginning of this forum file. It may be interesting to Stephan and others to see a modification of that suspension system. I have also spent a considerable time with my husband and a friend remodeling our 2 bathrooms as well as working overtime… Sigh real life… enough said on that subject. Before I much go on I want to address a couple of comments from Wolf. I read your comment on obstacles in the road and thought about that in terms of tilting and locking the tilt mechanism. First I think that a tilting trike (1 st te

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.6

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.6 Hello sheng-fui, I understand about translations since I must use one for German! I think I would miss so much without the translation as I found out the first time I looked at the forum with the machine translation. So German on Velomobilforum and American on my blog… Perhaps I will get it right the first time! ;D So on to leaning trikes. I think I came up with a better geometry for the XYZ Leaning trike than what I presented but I am having real difficulty putting it into 2 dimensions. To solve that I am making a prototype in plywood. It will hopefully help me visualize. Maybe my prototype will let me take pictures that make sense instead of sketches and text descriptions. I believe what I have in mind is a bit like the Chike trike without suspension. I think the Chike trikes are awesome! I think these trikes use a fairly common geometry. The nose rotates and with a modified wishbone they are supporting balance wi

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobileforum p.10

I have recently built about 4 possible versions of the tilting mechanism I have beem toying with in my very informal test stand. Here are some pictures of the one I think will work the best.   This is pretty much like I think it will be on the actual trike. The orientation on the outer tilting assembly may change a bit but it will be very similar to this. The shocks that are visible should be the ones I use. The tilt arm on the center shaft will be very similar.  At this point I have gotten the general outline of what I want to do sketched out in my mind. I have another bathroom to work up and a garage shop to work up before I get back to this little project. Time to get some of the things I put off during the winter done so I can get back to the trike.  The things I have been figuring out lately have been the way to get my steering kingpins made and I think that by using a female heim joint and a longer bolt with a spacer to hold the extension of the heim joint I