Skip to main content

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobileforum p.10

I have recently built about 4 possible versions of the tilting mechanism I have beem toying with in my very informal test stand. Here are some pictures of the one I think will work the best.




This is pretty much like I think it will be on the actual trike. The orientation on the outer tilting assembly may change a bit but it will be very similar to this. The shocks that are visible should be the ones I use. The tilt arm on the center shaft will be very similar. 

At this point I have gotten the general outline of what I want to do sketched out in my mind. I have another bathroom to work up and a garage shop to work up before I get back to this little project. Time to get some of the things I put off during the winter done so I can get back to the trike. 

The things I have been figuring out lately have been the way to get my steering kingpins made and I think that by using a female heim joint and a longer bolt with a spacer to hold the extension of the heim joint I can get the adjustment of the camber accomplished.  I will get a picture up sometime of the general idea.

I have been considering galvanic corrosion using steel bolts in aluminum square tube.  I initially felt that stainless steel would eliminate the problem. After consulting a galvanic chart and various other sources I believe I was incorrect. The stainless and aluminum combination will also have very serious corrosion problems. It would appear that zinc and aluminum are fairly compatible somewhat to my surprise. I am thinking that bolts hot dipped in zinc and wet installed using an insulative RTV product would be the way to go. I believe this will eliminate or reduce the galvanic corrosion from being a problem. Only time will tell... at least I live where it is dry so it should be of little consequence anyway.

TTFN
Ceeann

Comments

  1. Ceeann how will this interact with the steering mechanics of the XYZ? I've been pondering a quad of similar design for some time and the steering is amazing for its simplicity but seems to constraint tilt and shock options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this took so long to reply. This bit I have shown here was mostly concerned with determining if the XYZ format would work for a tilting trike. The tilting in the front wheels as I show will most certainly work with off the shelf components. Steering is of course next on the list of things to do. Unfortunately our bathroom plumbing basically exploded about the time you commented and I stopped commenting here and started working on household projects like water and bathing facilities. In short the steering must tilt with the front wheels and although I am not married to the paddle steering in the XYZ it is probably the best form for a tilting trike of this form. If there is any justice we will complete the pretty upscale master bathroom we are building this winter, and I will pull together another more business related project this spring, and get back to the trike in late spring and early summer. BTW I also work full time... LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Below is a link to my sketches on how I think the steering would work based on the work of someone who got a tilting trike to function. You may have to cut and past this into your browser.

    https://www.velomobilforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/eigenbau-xyz-spaceframe-vehicle.33109/page-25

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.8

Hello Hein, Titan Wolf, trike like (Martin?) and Stephan (shs2_de) It has been a couple of weeks since I was able to remark on what I have been doing with the idea of a tilting space frame trike and I have some things to share. I have built another new prototype of a tilting mechanism and have already come up with a new version. Interestingly enough my newest designs bears a great resemblance to what Stephan (shs2_de) worked on with his suspension system at the beginning of this forum file. It may be interesting to Stephan and others to see a modification of that suspension system. I have also spent a considerable time with my husband and a friend remodeling our 2 bathrooms as well as working overtime… Sigh real life… enough said on that subject. Before I much go on I want to address a couple of comments from Wolf. I read your comment on obstacles in the road and thought about that in terms of tilting and locking the tilt mechanism. First I think that a tilting trike (1 st te

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.6

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.6 Hello sheng-fui, I understand about translations since I must use one for German! I think I would miss so much without the translation as I found out the first time I looked at the forum with the machine translation. So German on Velomobilforum and American on my blog… Perhaps I will get it right the first time! ;D So on to leaning trikes. I think I came up with a better geometry for the XYZ Leaning trike than what I presented but I am having real difficulty putting it into 2 dimensions. To solve that I am making a prototype in plywood. It will hopefully help me visualize. Maybe my prototype will let me take pictures that make sense instead of sketches and text descriptions. I believe what I have in mind is a bit like the Chike trike without suspension. I think the Chike trikes are awesome! I think these trikes use a fairly common geometry. The nose rotates and with a modified wishbone they are supporting balance wi