Skip to main content

Microadjustable bench top router table

In this ongoing quest to set up our shop and make some tool boxes I made a bench top router table and here is the basic drawing and story about that. 
 
I wanted a very basic router table with which to make some other tools, a drill press table, a finger joint fixture, and some router lock jointed drawers. I wanted it to be adjustable and quick. The lock joints I make need to be adjusted and fit correctly. The others need the same kind of adjustments to fit correctly. From this comes the next few projects... full router table with lift and possibly a thickness sander with a modified and expanded router lift.  I think this router table will do the trick for now.
 
These first three pictures show the general shape of the base of the table. It has a bench hook, grooves to mount the miter t-track. The side mounted t-track will secure the fence carrier. The second picture shows the structure of the back of the base. The third picture shows the cut out in the bottom to allow the router to fit to only the top layer of the table. I did not make a cut out for a plate on this table and just mounted the router directly to the top with bolts. The entire project is secured by screws and glue for the remainder of the project with of course exception to the miter t-slots.
 
 
 
 
The exploded view of the base shows the sizes of the various parts. the top one that is cut off is actually 23 1/2" . The shaded part below shows the area cut out after assembly. This cut out allows the router to be mounted and latter removed from the table.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Below is the carrier for the adjustable fence. The daddo in the center will hold another section of miter t-slot to secure the adjustable fence. The back is put on last to enable the t-slot bold assembly to fit in the slot. The back holds the threaded insert for the adjustment mechanism.
 
 
 
 
 
Carrier sled exploded with dimensions.
 
 
 
 
Micro adjustable router fence. There is a slot for a miter t-slot extrusion to hold various hold down fixtures in the front face. There is an adjustable face feature to narrow the cutter slot. The faces of the fence have another miter t-slot extrusion for the hold downs that are obvious on the fence.  The knob to secure the fence to the carrier can be seen to the back. The back board is the 2nd part of the micro adjustment mechanism.
 
 
 
This shows the back of the fence assembly and it becomes more obvious where the miter t-track will fit in the face of the fence. The oddly shaped thin in the middle is a PVC sewer T from the plumbing section of the hardware store to serve as a collector at the back of the cutter slot. It has been modified to fit the area I needed it in.
 
 
This is an exploded view of the micro adjustable fence with dimensions.
 
 
The last bit here is a drawing to show how the micro adjustment mechanism works in general. The fence slides back and forth on the carrier for fine adjustment and the carrier allows the fence to get within range of the fine adjustment.
 
As of yet I have no cut list and probably will not develop one. I made this out of scraps to fit a need. I share it here for you at my pleasure. I will eventually get some pictures of the actual table in the future. So far so good. I hope this is of some use for those who look at this drawing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.8

Hello Hein, Titan Wolf, trike like (Martin?) and Stephan (shs2_de) It has been a couple of weeks since I was able to remark on what I have been doing with the idea of a tilting space frame trike and I have some things to share. I have built another new prototype of a tilting mechanism and have already come up with a new version. Interestingly enough my newest designs bears a great resemblance to what Stephan (shs2_de) worked on with his suspension system at the beginning of this forum file. It may be interesting to Stephan and others to see a modification of that suspension system. I have also spent a considerable time with my husband and a friend remodeling our 2 bathrooms as well as working overtime… Sigh real life… enough said on that subject. Before I much go on I want to address a couple of comments from Wolf. I read your comment on obstacles in the road and thought about that in terms of tilting and locking the tilt mechanism. First I think that a tilting trike (1 st te

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.6

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.6 Hello sheng-fui, I understand about translations since I must use one for German! I think I would miss so much without the translation as I found out the first time I looked at the forum with the machine translation. So German on Velomobilforum and American on my blog… Perhaps I will get it right the first time! ;D So on to leaning trikes. I think I came up with a better geometry for the XYZ Leaning trike than what I presented but I am having real difficulty putting it into 2 dimensions. To solve that I am making a prototype in plywood. It will hopefully help me visualize. Maybe my prototype will let me take pictures that make sense instead of sketches and text descriptions. I believe what I have in mind is a bit like the Chike trike without suspension. I think the Chike trikes are awesome! I think these trikes use a fairly common geometry. The nose rotates and with a modified wishbone they are supporting balance wi

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobileforum p.10

I have recently built about 4 possible versions of the tilting mechanism I have beem toying with in my very informal test stand. Here are some pictures of the one I think will work the best.   This is pretty much like I think it will be on the actual trike. The orientation on the outer tilting assembly may change a bit but it will be very similar to this. The shocks that are visible should be the ones I use. The tilt arm on the center shaft will be very similar.  At this point I have gotten the general outline of what I want to do sketched out in my mind. I have another bathroom to work up and a garage shop to work up before I get back to this little project. Time to get some of the things I put off during the winter done so I can get back to the trike.  The things I have been figuring out lately have been the way to get my steering kingpins made and I think that by using a female heim joint and a longer bolt with a spacer to hold the extension of the heim joint I