Skip to main content

Drill press table

This is in the current set of projects being build to make some tool boxes... Yes I need a drill press that functions in boring both horizontally and vertically positioned pieces of wood and metal. So this is the design I thought would serve as a starting point for that task.
 
Extendable Drill Press Table Plans
 
I got this from WoodArchivist in the drill press section. Apparently this was originally published in Woodcraft Magazine and designed by Chuck Hedlund. The article has no other publishing information. My take on this design is below. It is considerably changed and includes a very much expanded support box, redesigned vertical table and sliding fence, a full replace of the sliding feature of the vertical table using a sliding miter slot and cleat, as well as extended drill press controls, and a redesigned horizontal fence.  These are preliminary plans and are going to always be a bit of a prototype drawing no matter what I make so take that into account. I charge nothing and I make no guarantees. Please note the top of the vertical fence is flush with the horizontal table top and not as marked. in the drawing directly below.
 
I anticipate that the material is about 0.7" thick cabinet grade plywood. I will probably use either birch or maple faced plywood. The dado's in these drawings are for miter slots with full sliding bars. I will note later where I found them.
Again the slot is for the miter slot and the knobs are purchased with square head nuts sized to fit the miter slot cleat. Two layers of plywood are used as can be seen.
The sliding bars for the extension tables are 3/4" square pipe. I anticipate using aluminum but I may use a hardwood instead. The back that can be seen dadoed into the sides is 1/4" plywood. The extension tables are offset so both can be in place at once in the compacted form.
The support box. The cut out in the center is to support a sacrificial insert for the drill to dig into. The sliding cleat is a full length miter slot with interlocking full length cleat. Note the 11" through dado for the vertical table stop pin.
This is the attachment base plate. This attaches to the drill press table metal support, with bolts, as it currently exists. The miter table slot in the bottom of the support table will allow the cleats illustrated below to attachĂ© the support table and still allow some movement if needed. Knobs and bolts are purchased and fitted to suit.
This is added in case the support table is a bit unstable and is only an idea at present. I do not believe this will be needed to keep the table from being tipsy... Time will tell.
Vertical table and fence.
Vertical fence. This will have 2 miter slots. One slot on the side and one on the top of the fence at 90 degrees from one another.
The vertical table. The fence will run in the two rabbits that are visible at the top and bottom of the drawing. The miter slots will hold the fence in position and the knobs lock it in place as needed. The square mortises are to allow the fence to be locked in place and the extensions to be used without disassembly. If needed the full mobility of the sliding vertical table, the sliding horizontal support, the sliding vertical fence and the rotation of the drill press can be brought into play to get a vertical member in place for boring.
Well that the full plan with a few omissions that I will fill in as I can. I will eventually get this built and post some pictures then. I still have to make up drawings for the bench top router table but that will take a bit yet even though it is complete.  ttfn 10-17-2017 CLHC.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.8

Hello Hein, Titan Wolf, trike like (Martin?) and Stephan (shs2_de) It has been a couple of weeks since I was able to remark on what I have been doing with the idea of a tilting space frame trike and I have some things to share. I have built another new prototype of a tilting mechanism and have already come up with a new version. Interestingly enough my newest designs bears a great resemblance to what Stephan (shs2_de) worked on with his suspension system at the beginning of this forum file. It may be interesting to Stephan and others to see a modification of that suspension system. I have also spent a considerable time with my husband and a friend remodeling our 2 bathrooms as well as working overtime… Sigh real life… enough said on that subject. Before I much go on I want to address a couple of comments from Wolf. I read your comment on obstacles in the road and thought about that in terms of tilting and locking the tilt mechanism. First I think that a tilting trike (1 st te

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.6

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on Velomobilforum p.6 Hello sheng-fui, I understand about translations since I must use one for German! I think I would miss so much without the translation as I found out the first time I looked at the forum with the machine translation. So German on Velomobilforum and American on my blog… Perhaps I will get it right the first time! ;D So on to leaning trikes. I think I came up with a better geometry for the XYZ Leaning trike than what I presented but I am having real difficulty putting it into 2 dimensions. To solve that I am making a prototype in plywood. It will hopefully help me visualize. Maybe my prototype will let me take pictures that make sense instead of sketches and text descriptions. I believe what I have in mind is a bit like the Chike trike without suspension. I think the Chike trikes are awesome! I think these trikes use a fairly common geometry. The nose rotates and with a modified wishbone they are supporting balance wi

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on velomobilforum p.7

Recumbent tadpole trike: Posts on velomobilforum p.7 Hello! I have been doing some fast prototyping in plywood. I glued up a strip of 3/4" plywood and  1/4" plywood (they are actually metric ply close to those measurements) to get a small sheet of 1" thick plywood. So I then cut this to made some 1" square plywood dowels about 8 foot long.  From these dowels , some wood screws, and a couple of bolts I put together a proof of concept tilting trike frame. I want to play with it a bit and will buy more hardware to hopefully put on some wheels.  Nothing I built is usable for riding. This is literally just a full scale model and a poor one at that. Mostly I want to see the full size geometry and how the machine functions. So here are my pictures from shortly after the sun was up so forgive the shadows. Now tilting Right Now Tilting  Left Now a couple of close ups of the middle. I will post more as I bui